One of the most affordable and convenient methods for small-scale asphalt mending projects is to use a cold patch mix. Many property owners will tell you that this approach saves money, Asphalt Driveway Companies Near Me in Germiston and can reduce the amount of labor required for the job, making it a great solution for small holes in parking lots, walkways, streets, and driveways. However, the process of cold asphalt patching can be accelerated with the right application techniques, saving property owners some time too! Customers, clients, guests, and occupants can use the pavement in the same day!
Continue reading to learn some great tips on how you can shorten the amount of time it takes for the cold patch asphalt mix to harden, and drastically cut down on turnaround time, from project start to finish.
Ease of Use
The primary reason why this product is the go-to choice for small hole repairs in asphalt pavements is the ease of installation. There is no long, extended process of preparing or mixing materials. Instead, the air does most of the work. You simply pour the mix directly into the hole, compact it with simple manual tools (metal tamper or piece of lumber), and leave it to air dry. The mix turns into a permanent surface patch after extended contact with air.
The drying process, also known as curing, is very important to establishing a solid, stable surface that lasts a long time. If you want a permanent repair for your asphalt, you need to make sure the entire process is done correctly. If you want to speed up the curing stage of your pavement repair project, you can try a few recommended tips.
You can use gravel to create a more dense space within the hole, which may help to establish lasting strength. Just fill the hole with gravel, little by little, while using your compacting tools to compress the gravel with each layer. Do not fill the hole all the way to the top; be sure to leave 2 inches of space below the surface line for your cold patch mix.
Pouring Your Mix
As you pour your mix, exceed the surface line by half an inch. This means that your mix should go over the top of the hole by a ½ inch. Then use your compacting tools to compress your material down until it is properly flattened. You may need to repeat this step two or three times to get a proper fill.
Asphalt cold patch mix cures by having contact with air. You can speed up the drying process by using hair dryers or commercial paint dryers. If you are going to use a hair dryer, you will need to manually operate it in a steady, sweeping motion to ensure even curing. The material is near dry when you cannot easily press into the surface with your hand.
Large-Scale Pavement Repair
For large-scale pavement repair jobs, you need a professional paving company. They have the training, equipment, and resources to provide dependable work in a convenient time frame. Be sure to choose a company that is licensed, bonded, and insured, and retains decades of experience in the road construction industry.
Asphalt Driveway Companies Near Me in Germiston ?
Homeowners often try to decide if they should replace their driveway with asphalt or concrete. It is not always an easy decision; especially when you consider the cost that is involved in such a large renovation project. This article specifically addresses the pros and cons of installing an asphalt driveway versus a concrete driveway.
- Appearance; concrete just looks better. It is the standard for even the most expensive homes.
- No annual maintenance; Once initially sealed, concrete doesn't require any annual maintenance
- Lasts much longer; Concrete should last 20 years or more if installed correctly.
- Concrete can be stained/stamped to look like brick, slate, or stone for a rich look
- Concrete is versatile in how it is placed and designed. Curves, color, finish, and textures add versatility to the appearance of concrete.
- Concrete adds value to your home. People just associate concrete with being the best money can buy.
- It's concrete! I'm a mason and I'm biased!
- Concrete is more expensive: The initial cost of installing a concrete driveway is slightly more than the cost of installing an asphalt driveway. Initially that is.
- Prone to cracking: This is a big one. Concrete cracks. It's what concrete does. It is rigid and when pressure from the ground below exerts its powerful forces against the concrete, the concrete cracks. However, how bad it cracks and where is often up to the mason that installed it. With proper base preparation and proper expansion cutting, cracks should be hidden and kept to a minimum.
- Concrete is susceptible to road de-icer which could ruin surface finishes. It is true that in the northern climates where roads are treated with salt or other road de-icer, the finish on your concrete can be damaged by road de-icer IF it is not properly sealed with a premium penetrating sealer.
- Cheaper initial cost. If you need paving material on your driveway and you don't have the money for concrete, asphalt can be an excellent alternative. It is certainly better than dirt, mud or stone.
- Asphalt must be re-sealed once a year. You either have to pay someone or you have to do it yourself; either way, this is the worst part of owning an asphalt driveway. If you skip sealing your driveway, it will degrade much more quickly and cost you even more.
- Asphalt wears out faster. No matter if you seal it or not, asphalt just crumbles, cracks, and sinks with vehicle weight. It is not as durable as concrete.
- Asphalt soaks up oil and gas. Asphalt is susceptible to oil and gas spills/leaks from your car. Every place you park your car, there will be stains.
- Asphalt is Dirty; with a capital "D". Asphalt is just plain dirty. Walk around on your asphalt driveway and then look at the bottom of your shoes. Yuck. The binder used to keep asphalt together is made with tar. When you seal the cracks in asphalt, you use tar. Tar sticks to everything; including you. Then you track that into your house.
- Asphalt costs more: Wait. Didn't I say it was cheaper? Yes, but only initially. In the long run, asphalt is going to cost you more because of having to replace it when it wears out. Not to mention it cost money to seal it every year. It is just not made to last as long as concrete. This con just crossed out the only "pro" for asphalt.
There are many factors to consider as you think about which type of driveway to install. It is easy to see, concrete is initially more expensive, but will outperform and therefore outlast asphalt every time; making concrete the cost effective solution. Maintenance free concrete will not only add immediate beauty and value to your home, it will be a permanent driveway solution that adds beauty and value to your home for decades to come.
Benefits of Using Asphalt for Paving
When the time comes to pave your driveway, you need not be overwhelmed with the task ahead. It is true that it is possible to repave your own driveway, although this can be a daunting task, especially depending on the size of your driveway! You will also need a lot of skill to do it properly, and it is usually just far less of a hassle to hire a paving contractor.
There are many contractors out there who would love to help you with your paving needs. One search on the internet can help you find paving contractors in your area. Furthermore, you will usually be able to narrow your search down to the exact area that you live in. If you look for your paving contractor on the internet, chances are good that besides contact details on directories some will have websites. These websites can be very useful, as you will be able to see what sort of paving you can get for your driveway. Most websites belonging to paving contractors will have online brochures which show you the types of materials you can choose for your driveway, as well as the different styles, colours and designs. If you do not have the internet you can also find paving contractors in your city in your local directory book.
It is not only your driveway that may need paving. Some people prefer to pave their entire garden, and other areas of their home. Courtyards are very popularly paved, as are steps leading up to homes. It can look very attractive to have a paved garden path in between green grass. Depending on your desired effect, you can have a different style of paving for your driveway that you have for your back garden. There are many different patterns and styles of putting the paving in which create beautiful effects. It is entirely up to you. There are many different types of paving you can choose from, with regards to the materials that you use. Some of the most popular choices are concrete, brick, flagstone and tiles.
Before you hire your new paving contractor, you need to check their previous experience. It is always a good idea to take on the services of a paving contractor who can show you a portfolio of their previous work. If they are able to give you contactable references too, then that is always an added bonus.
It is very important that you sign a proper contract before work begins on your paving. You do not want to be lumped with unexpected bills after your area has been paved, nor do you want your contractor disappearing halfway through the process. A contract will also give you reassurance regarding the time frame, in which the work is expected to completed, and also the materials and tools being used.
To conclude, it is easy to see why it is important to hire a good contractor for your paving needs. There are many good paving contractors available out there with years of experience.
Asphalt Driveway Companies Near Me Germiston