One of the most affordable and convenient methods for small-scale asphalt mending projects is to use a cold patch mix. Many property owners will tell you that this approach saves money, Asphalt Paving Contractors Near Me in Johannesburg south and can reduce the amount of labor required for the job, making it a great solution for small holes in parking lots, walkways, streets, and driveways. However, the process of cold asphalt patching can be accelerated with the right application techniques, saving property owners some time too! Customers, clients, guests, and occupants can use the pavement in the same day!
Continue reading to learn some great tips on how you can shorten the amount of time it takes for the cold patch asphalt mix to harden, and drastically cut down on turnaround time, from project start to finish.
Ease of Use
The primary reason why this product is the go-to choice for small hole repairs in asphalt pavements is the ease of installation. There is no long, extended process of preparing or mixing materials. Instead, the air does most of the work. You simply pour the mix directly into the hole, compact it with simple manual tools (metal tamper or piece of lumber), and leave it to air dry. The mix turns into a permanent surface patch after extended contact with air.
The drying process, also known as curing, is very important to establishing a solid, stable surface that lasts a long time. If you want a permanent repair for your asphalt, you need to make sure the entire process is done correctly. If you want to speed up the curing stage of your pavement repair project, you can try a few recommended tips.
You can use gravel to create a more dense space within the hole, which may help to establish lasting strength. Just fill the hole with gravel, little by little, while using your compacting tools to compress the gravel with each layer. Do not fill the hole all the way to the top; be sure to leave 2 inches of space below the surface line for your cold patch mix.
Pouring Your Mix
As you pour your mix, exceed the surface line by half an inch. This means that your mix should go over the top of the hole by a ½ inch. Then use your compacting tools to compress your material down until it is properly flattened. You may need to repeat this step two or three times to get a proper fill.
Asphalt cold patch mix cures by having contact with air. You can speed up the drying process by using hair dryers or commercial paint dryers. If you are going to use a hair dryer, you will need to manually operate it in a steady, sweeping motion to ensure even curing. The material is near dry when you cannot easily press into the surface with your hand.
Large-Scale Pavement Repair
For large-scale pavement repair jobs, you need a professional paving company. They have the training, equipment, and resources to provide dependable work in a convenient time frame. Be sure to choose a company that is licensed, bonded, and insured, and retains decades of experience in the road construction industry.
Asphalt Paving Contractors Near Me in Johannesburg south ?
This contractor is employed by a company that makes surfaces that are paved like sidewalks, floors made of concrete, and roads. Some companies will even work on bigger projects like an airport runway. They will be hired by municipal agencies, homeowners, and business to repair existing paved surfaces or make new ones. Many of the companies that paving contractors work for will focus in either commercial or residential work but some will do both. It depends on the job and equipment needed.
Commercial paving contractors
They are the ones that will usually provide the pricing for the jobs needed in the outline of a bid. The one that is offered the job is typically the lowest bidder but not always. When working in commercial jobs, the contractor will report to the construction manager or general contractor instead of the owner. One of the jobs a paving contractor does is pour parking lots, walkways, and floors in new developments. If it is a municipal project they may repair any damage in an existing paying like cracks or potholes or lay new sidewalks, or roads,
Residential paving contractors
They will meet with the homeowner to discuss the project that is needed, figure out the approximate cost of materials and labor, and then give an estimate to the homeowner. The homeowner may hire them to put down a floor, patio, or walkway. They can also repair structures like walkways or stairs. Some of these paving companies may concentrate just on landscape paving. This can include laying stone items like outdoor tiles or pavers or installing a poured surface.
Working as a paving contractor requires being able to use big pieces of equipment, which can include:
• Paving machine to smooth the freshly laid out road or parking lot surface
• Excavator to set up the land for paving
• Tamping machines, which are large machines that are used to help flatten out the gravel or dirt surfaces
• Dump truck to haul away any excess waste products and dirt and to haul in gravel or stones
Becoming a paving contractor
If you would like to have a career working in this field, you need to be one that does not mind working outdoors in any type of weather. You also need to feel at ease working on roads that are busy since this type of work is done in the daytime when traffic is passing nearby. You may also work as a flagger so you should have experience with road safety and flagging. Working as a paving contractor, you can expect to work in conditions that are busy, noisy, and dirty. If you work with hot asphalt, you need to be aware of the different heat levels and potential toxic fumes.
Tips on Asphalt Driveways - Resurface or Repave
Did you just have your driveway repaved with a brand new asphalt overlay? Or maybe a new layer of sealcoat? Or perhaps you are a company owner that just finished construction on a new commercial parking lot? Either way, you may start to notice tire marks as business or traffic picks up. Tire scuff marks are a common occurrence to newly-paved or seal-coated asphalt, and for many reasons. Before you pick up the phone to have a word with your paving company, it is encouraged to investigate a bit further, and find out why tire marks appear on newly-paved asphalt in the first place. Continue reading to learn what causes asphalt tire scuffing, and gain a better understanding of what to expect from your pavement.
Fortunately, there is no need to panic about tire marks since they will eventually fade after a few months. There are several reasons why freshly-paved or seal-coated asphalt is subject to tire scuffing, but they can all be narrowed down to five specific ones. If you have questions about any of these causes, feel free to contact your paving company afterwards to discuss them in detail. They can give you expert information, answers, and advice regarding asphalt paving, sealcoating, and more. For now, start by reviewing the 5 most common factors that cause asphalt tire marks, below.
1. The Age of Pavement - New pavement, or pavement with a new layer of sealcoat, is more susceptible to tire scuff marks since it is still soft and malleable. As it hardens, tire marks begin to disappear. Asphalt requires flexibility to maintain maximum durability, but as it ages, it loses this attribute.
2. Outdoor Temperatures - The time of year affects the rate at which asphalt hardens after being laid. Hot weather will slow the curing process, keeping pavement soft and flexible a little longer than usual. And we already mentioned that soft pavement allows for tire marks. This is why most paving jobs are carried out in the fall and winter, when temperatures are cooler and pavement cures faster.
3. Vehicle Weight - New asphalt pavement that experiences frequent traffic from heavy vehicles, like trucks, buses, and vans, is more susceptible to tire scuffing. Stationary 180-degree turns, sudden braking, sharp turns, and trucks with power steering are common causes for tire marks..
4. Type of Tires - The type and size of tires play a major role in producing tire scuff marks in new pavement. Most standard tires can and will cause this to happen, but tires with aggressive tread patterns, steel-belted radial tires, and off-road trucks and SUVs will guarantee it.
5. Type of Asphalt - The type of asphalt will also influence the likelihood of tire scuffing on new pavement. Course aggregate is less likely to scuff, whereas, a thin sealcoat will.
Asphalt Paving Contractors Near Me Johannesburg south