One of the most affordable and convenient methods for small-scale asphalt mending projects is to use a cold patch mix. Many property owners will tell you that this approach saves money, Asphalt Driveway Repair Companies in Kempton park and can reduce the amount of labor required for the job, making it a great solution for small holes in parking lots, walkways, streets, and driveways. However, the process of cold asphalt patching can be accelerated with the right application techniques, saving property owners some time too! Customers, clients, guests, and occupants can use the pavement in the same day!
Continue reading to learn some great tips on how you can shorten the amount of time it takes for the cold patch asphalt mix to harden, and drastically cut down on turnaround time, from project start to finish.
Ease of Use
The primary reason why this product is the go-to choice for small hole repairs in asphalt pavements is the ease of installation. There is no long, extended process of preparing or mixing materials. Instead, the air does most of the work. You simply pour the mix directly into the hole, compact it with simple manual tools (metal tamper or piece of lumber), and leave it to air dry. The mix turns into a permanent surface patch after extended contact with air.
The drying process, also known as curing, is very important to establishing a solid, stable surface that lasts a long time. If you want a permanent repair for your asphalt, you need to make sure the entire process is done correctly. If you want to speed up the curing stage of your pavement repair project, you can try a few recommended tips.
You can use gravel to create a more dense space within the hole, which may help to establish lasting strength. Just fill the hole with gravel, little by little, while using your compacting tools to compress the gravel with each layer. Do not fill the hole all the way to the top; be sure to leave 2 inches of space below the surface line for your cold patch mix.
Pouring Your Mix
As you pour your mix, exceed the surface line by half an inch. This means that your mix should go over the top of the hole by a ½ inch. Then use your compacting tools to compress your material down until it is properly flattened. You may need to repeat this step two or three times to get a proper fill.
Asphalt cold patch mix cures by having contact with air. You can speed up the drying process by using hair dryers or commercial paint dryers. If you are going to use a hair dryer, you will need to manually operate it in a steady, sweeping motion to ensure even curing. The material is near dry when you cannot easily press into the surface with your hand.
Large-Scale Pavement Repair
For large-scale pavement repair jobs, you need a professional paving company. They have the training, equipment, and resources to provide dependable work in a convenient time frame. Be sure to choose a company that is licensed, bonded, and insured, and retains decades of experience in the road construction industry.
Asphalt Driveway Repair Companies in Kempton park ?
This contractor is employed by a company that makes surfaces that are paved like sidewalks, floors made of concrete, and roads. Some companies will even work on bigger projects like an airport runway. They will be hired by municipal agencies, homeowners, and business to repair existing paved surfaces or make new ones. Many of the companies that paving contractors work for will focus in either commercial or residential work but some will do both. It depends on the job and equipment needed.
Commercial paving contractors
They are the ones that will usually provide the pricing for the jobs needed in the outline of a bid. The one that is offered the job is typically the lowest bidder but not always. When working in commercial jobs, the contractor will report to the construction manager or general contractor instead of the owner. One of the jobs a paving contractor does is pour parking lots, walkways, and floors in new developments. If it is a municipal project they may repair any damage in an existing paying like cracks or potholes or lay new sidewalks, or roads,
Residential paving contractors
They will meet with the homeowner to discuss the project that is needed, figure out the approximate cost of materials and labor, and then give an estimate to the homeowner. The homeowner may hire them to put down a floor, patio, or walkway. They can also repair structures like walkways or stairs. Some of these paving companies may concentrate just on landscape paving. This can include laying stone items like outdoor tiles or pavers or installing a poured surface.
Working as a paving contractor requires being able to use big pieces of equipment, which can include:
• Paving machine to smooth the freshly laid out road or parking lot surface
• Excavator to set up the land for paving
• Tamping machines, which are large machines that are used to help flatten out the gravel or dirt surfaces
• Dump truck to haul away any excess waste products and dirt and to haul in gravel or stones
Becoming a paving contractor
If you would like to have a career working in this field, you need to be one that does not mind working outdoors in any type of weather. You also need to feel at ease working on roads that are busy since this type of work is done in the daytime when traffic is passing nearby. You may also work as a flagger so you should have experience with road safety and flagging. Working as a paving contractor, you can expect to work in conditions that are busy, noisy, and dirty. If you work with hot asphalt, you need to be aware of the different heat levels and potential toxic fumes.
How Do I Make My Asphalt Look Better?
Homeowners often try to decide if they should replace their driveway with asphalt or concrete. It is not always an easy decision; especially when you consider the cost that is involved in such a large renovation project. This article specifically addresses the pros and cons of installing an asphalt driveway versus a concrete driveway.
- Appearance; concrete just looks better. It is the standard for even the most expensive homes.
- No annual maintenance; Once initially sealed, concrete doesn't require any annual maintenance
- Lasts much longer; Concrete should last 20 years or more if installed correctly.
- Concrete can be stained/stamped to look like brick, slate, or stone for a rich look
- Concrete is versatile in how it is placed and designed. Curves, color, finish, and textures add versatility to the appearance of concrete.
- Concrete adds value to your home. People just associate concrete with being the best money can buy.
- It's concrete! I'm a mason and I'm biased!
- Concrete is more expensive: The initial cost of installing a concrete driveway is slightly more than the cost of installing an asphalt driveway. Initially that is.
- Prone to cracking: This is a big one. Concrete cracks. It's what concrete does. It is rigid and when pressure from the ground below exerts its powerful forces against the concrete, the concrete cracks. However, how bad it cracks and where is often up to the mason that installed it. With proper base preparation and proper expansion cutting, cracks should be hidden and kept to a minimum.
- Concrete is susceptible to road de-icer which could ruin surface finishes. It is true that in the northern climates where roads are treated with salt or other road de-icer, the finish on your concrete can be damaged by road de-icer IF it is not properly sealed with a premium penetrating sealer.
- Cheaper initial cost. If you need paving material on your driveway and you don't have the money for concrete, asphalt can be an excellent alternative. It is certainly better than dirt, mud or stone.
- Asphalt must be re-sealed once a year. You either have to pay someone or you have to do it yourself; either way, this is the worst part of owning an asphalt driveway. If you skip sealing your driveway, it will degrade much more quickly and cost you even more.
- Asphalt wears out faster. No matter if you seal it or not, asphalt just crumbles, cracks, and sinks with vehicle weight. It is not as durable as concrete.
- Asphalt soaks up oil and gas. Asphalt is susceptible to oil and gas spills/leaks from your car. Every place you park your car, there will be stains.
- Asphalt is Dirty; with a capital "D". Asphalt is just plain dirty. Walk around on your asphalt driveway and then look at the bottom of your shoes. Yuck. The binder used to keep asphalt together is made with tar. When you seal the cracks in asphalt, you use tar. Tar sticks to everything; including you. Then you track that into your house.
- Asphalt costs more: Wait. Didn't I say it was cheaper? Yes, but only initially. In the long run, asphalt is going to cost you more because of having to replace it when it wears out. Not to mention it cost money to seal it every year. It is just not made to last as long as concrete. This con just crossed out the only "pro" for asphalt.
There are many factors to consider as you think about which type of driveway to install. It is easy to see, concrete is initially more expensive, but will outperform and therefore outlast asphalt every time; making concrete the cost effective solution. Maintenance free concrete will not only add immediate beauty and value to your home, it will be a permanent driveway solution that adds beauty and value to your home for decades to come.
Asphalt Driveway Repair Companies Kempton park